RE: Setting up Sendmail - nano-howto

hi ya michael

i gave up on any/all pre-packaged sendmail-*.deb

if you download/install the latest from sendmail.org
or exim.org or postix.or getc..

you should be able to get sendmail working out of the
box
	cd /usr/local/src
	tar zxvfp sendmail-*.tgz
	cd sendmail-*
	sh Build
	sh Build install
	cd cd/cf
	cp generic-linux.cf config.cf
	sh Build config.cf
	cp config.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
	cp config.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
	- stop and start sendmail
	- edit /etc/mail/acess && make
	- and you're sending and receiving emails
	( add your domains to /etc/mail/local-host-names

sendmail and most mta will NOT work w/o a properly configigured
/etc/mail/access and a list of domains that mta is to receive
incoming emails for

pre-packaged sendmail-*.deb is a bad package w/ lot-o-holes
( not worth the effort -- but a fresh/clean copy of sendmail
  is usable in 5 minutes

the sendmail.gwif.html page is a step-by-step instructions
on how to get sendmail working, apply some rbl rules
and apply some message/subject header checking to reject more spams

c ya
alvin