Re: Wireless PCI Card

    "jcoppock1" == jcoppock1  <Jeff> writes:

    jcoppock1> I just got a Linksys WMP11 Wireless PCI Card and a
    jcoppock1> Linksys WAP11 Access point.  I have it working fine,
    jcoppock1> but I can't figure out how to make the configuration
    jcoppock1> permanent.  I'm using iwconfig from the wireless-tools
    jcoppock1> package to configure the wireless aspects of it (ssid,
    jcoppock1> encryption key, etc..) and then run dhclient and IP is
    jcoppock1> configured.  But rebooting loses the config and I have
    jcoppock1> to do this each time I boot.

    jcoppock1> If someone can point me to a appropriate document, or
    jcoppock1> spell it out for me I'd really appreciate it.  I
    jcoppock1> haven't found anything definitive yet.

It's been a while since I've done this, but with Debian you can put
the entries in /etc/network/interfaces. Something like this works for
me on eth1 (my PCMCIA wireless device):

iface eth1 inet dhcp
  wireless_essid MyNetwork
  wirelss_key 112233445566 [1]
  wireless_mode Managed
  wireless_nickname mymachine

The standard pcmcia-source package added support for Debian's
ifup/ifdown commands a while ago. I believe ifup will invoke iwconfig
on those wireless_* parameters.

I can't remember where I looked all this up. It's been months, and I
hardly use my laptop these days. But I just booted it up, and yes it
does work with a Lucent Orinoc PCMCIA card and 2.4.18. It should work
with the PCI card since the cardbus manager is just invoking ifup on
eth1 for me.

Cheers!
Shyamal