Re: gcc 3.2 & kernels compiled with 2.95

On Friday 27 September 2002 02:50, Klaus Imgrund wrote:

> I just got rid of an installation I compiled with 3.2
> IMHO you don't really need gcc 3.2 just jet.Didn't see the 'great' speed
> increase in apps but got a lot of broken apps that don't work right with
> gcc 3.2. Plus the thing is really slow.

g++ (the C++ compiler) is where a lot of things have changed.  C++ apps
compiled with the new compiler tend to load and run faster.  The new compiler
is slower due to the higher level of standards checking, optimization
attempts, etc. mostly because of the increased memory usage.