Re: kernel panic on build of 2.4.18

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:12, shaulka@bezeqint.net wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:41:26AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> > Hi debian-users,

<snip>

> Not really but might worth the BW:
>
> 1. Recheck your kernel configuration. Can't help you with that since
>    I don't know anything about USB. Maybe there are some relevant
>    LDP documents? What about kernel-source-2.4.18/Documentation?

I tried again with normal make, ie not make-kpkg, also I did a make config
not make menuconfig so as not to have my 2.2 .config inflict it's defaults
on the process. bzImage built successfully but just stalled on boot up
without getting to a kernel panic.

> 2. Try with 2.4.19.

	I'll download and try that soon.

> 3. Try with a pre made kernel-image debs.

	Kernel panics on kernel-image-2.4.18-386 and also on
	kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 ( I'm using amd duron )
But finally I managed to get my initrd right, in /etc/lilo.conf it took
image=/vmlinuz
#added next line
	initrd=/initrd.img

where /initrd.img is a symlink to boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k7, and
also had to add the line:
	do_initrd = Yes

once I had done that the reinstall of kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 booted
successfully.
The install script did lots of barfing about references to '/' and
volunteered to remove these references which I accepted.
The scripts attempt failed to run lilo so I edited lilo.conf by hand to
keep the references to '/' in place (not knowing what else to do ) and
now success!

> 4. Hopefully some pre made kernel-image deb will work. You can then
>    take its /boot/config* in case you want to run your own kernel.

Yes I'll use it for 2.4.19

> 5. Read kernel-source-2.4.18/REPORTING-BUGS and
>    kernel-source-2.4.18/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt.

for 2.4.19

> 6. File a bug against kernel-source-2.4.18?

No, chances are it was all my misconfiguration of initrd.
(The 2.2.20 kernel that loads from Woody does not use initrd)

Thanks for the tips
bob parker