Physical memory

Hi all,
I have the following configuration :
tyan motherboard,
4x 512Mb ram
2x1000Mhz PIII
ICP Raid Controller with raid5 configuration
Debian Woody 3.0 with kernel 2.4.19 SMP #1

The problem is quite simple(actually difficult to solve) if I have only
3x512Mb ram(1,5 Gb) I have no problems with creating a single 150 Gbyte
file, but if I have 4x512Mb ram (2Gb) I even cannot create a single 20 Gbyte
file, it crashes with an oops pointing to a kjournald error and sometimes
the system freezes...I tried lots of variants (different kernel, 1 cpu
,event different distros etc.) no success with 2Gbyte ram (I have 4 G kernel
memory support)

What could be the possible reasons...thanks...

Murat