Re: Unable to print when using Debian 3.0

Sageev George <sageev@usc.edu> wrote:

> Currently, I'm unable to print on my
> Pentium-II while in Debian.  When
> in Win2K, I can print alright.  The
> printer is a HP DeskJet 720C.

This is not a ordinary printer.
The HP720C is a so-called GDI printer. This means it uses a proprietary
protocol which basically is windows-only.

> It installed LPR-PPD, I think, and
> after selecting the appropriate device,
> and driver, I tried printing, but
> nothing came out.

Perfectly normal. GDI are even unable to print plain ASCII without
proper driver support.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

You need an extra driver for this type of crippled GDI printers.
->"apt-get install pnm2ppa"

How this is to be used in connection with cups, magicfilter or apsfilter
is beyond my experience since I don't own a GDI printer. Sorry. But
shouldn't be too complicated.

> Have other people been able to print when using Debian on an i386 type
> computer with the latest releases?

Sure, just buy a real printer ;-)

Cheers,

Marcus