Re: compare filesystem types ???

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 21:03, Tom Cook wrote:
> On  0, "Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> wrote:
> >
> > Now that we have several filesystem types (ext2/3, reiserfs, &c.), where
> > can I go to find out pros and cons of each?  Is there some
> > filesystem-selection-HOWTO?
> >
> > For instance, what is the best filesystem type on which to install a
> > database, specifically oracle?
> >
> > Also, setup and configuration hints are valuable (e.g., block size) . .
> > .
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I'm not a filesystem expert, but I'd say that a journaling filesystem
> like ext3 or reiserfs is wasted on Oracle, since it does far more
> journalling than the filesystem will ever do.  Make sure you have your
> Oracle controlfiles backed up, logfiles replicated on more than one
> partition (preferrably more than one device), datafiles backed up
> regularly, and logfiles archived somewhere safe.

Almost true;  I found that a journaling filesystem was useful for at
least one thing - avoiding lengthy fsck's after (re)boot.  Admittedly,
reboots are infrequent, but running a fsck on a large drive takes
forever.  It may be well worth the slight performance drop of a
journaled filesystem in order to avoid a multi-hour fsck run.

--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator