Re: Odd Path issue

Rich Rudnick wrote:

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 12:09, nate wrote:

KentTest", it reports the expected "/usr/local/bin/KentTest". However,
if I run "KentTest", I get "bash: /home/westk/bin/KentTest: No such file
or directory". If I log out and then log back in, I can run "KentTest"
and it prints the message as expected.
thats normal, something to do with caching enviornment variables,
I see it a lot when doing what your doing. I don't know why it is,
but its expected behavior to me

bash stores the full name to commands in a hash table. You can see
what's been cached by calling

hash

on the command line and clear the cache with

hash -r

Thanks for the explanation Rich; that helps a lot!

Re: the other issue, Nate explained that "test" is a built-in, so the built-in command had precedence over the path statement.

Kent