Re: Page Faults Defined

On  0, Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> wrote:
[snip]
> > A page fault, despite its name, has nothing to do with
> > memory corruption or an invalid access.
>
> It has quite a bit to do with an invalid access. As far as the MMU is
> concerned, it *is* an invalid access: There is no page mapped to the
> address, and thus it throws a (hardware) exception called a 'page
> fault'.
>
> Please check your friendly CPU data book ;-)
[snip]

Your points (as well as the ones I have snipped) are valid, but I
think the point the OP was making was that page faults are not due to
bad programming practice, they are a normal part of the operation of
the kernel memory manager.  When bad programming practice comes in
(eg. pointer arithmetic gone haywire) the fault is always recast as a
segmentation fault or a bus error.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"There are few things more satisfying than seeing your children have teenagers of their own."
	- Doug Larson

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au