Re: installing debian linux as a vm guest

on Wed, Sep 25, 2002, George Morey (GMorey2@ci.tucson.az.us) wrote:
> Can I avoid the CD creation route for installing the debian linux?  I
> would just as soon get the linux kernal, ramdisk file system and a
> robust file system and create my linux guests using those files
> thereby forgoing the CD create intermediate step that appears to be
> required. I do not require any install aids.

Your question is unclear, but the answer is "probably".

If you're asking whether a CDROM is necessary to install Debian, the
answer is "no", and detailed in depth at the http://www.debian.org/ site
under installation instructions.

If you use a bootable GNU/Linux system (e.g.:  Tom's Root/Boot
(untested), LNX-BBC, or Knoppix), then debootstrap should be able to
build your system for you.

Several people, self included, have documented chroot install methods:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/DebianChrootInstall.html

Peace.

    Redqueen:  I love the way the flesh shrivels in my hand.