Re: OT: M$ Proxy Server

On 24 Sep 2002 at 18:42, martin f krafft wrote:

> Mh. http://freshmeat.net/projects/ntlmaps/ might be the better bet

There are two problems:
1. "Transparent" proxy using WSP clients.
2. Authorization of web access.
Which one is yours? I was thinking the first one. The link above
solves only the second one.

> simply because they get charged by volume according to the account
> they use for authorization.

Now I am lost. Who is being charged for what? Students for web
access? Students don't get internet for free?

> it's micro$oft behind that, who found out about the debian install and

Microsoft is a trademark. Seek people.

> consequently instituted the proxy server. the school is a M$ Project
> school, so their experimental grounds, and Micro$oft is, once again,
> actively abusing their power to drive the others out. Great.

Are they paying whole school? Only IT stuff? Just give software
licenses? Or is it just that IT staff is MS-happy/Linux-unfriendly?
If they are just providing licenses for zero/low price, then they
aren't going to be important.

If they are all-from-MS, then ask them if they could kindly provide
Microsoft Linux distro. :-) It's possible, it's legal, it's going to
be popular, then why not?