Re: OT: M$ Proxy Server

On 23 Sep 2002 at 13:56, martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Teun Vink <teun@moonblade.net> [2002.09.23.0953 +0200]: >
> You could try the tsocks package, I know of one setup in which we use
> > that package to make a connection through a M$ proxy server. I have
> > absolutely no clue as to how that proxy was configured, so I don't
> know > if this applies for your situation as well, but it might be
> worth a try.
>
> They disabled SOCKS support on the Proxy Server. Obviously.

I am in similar situation. I've written a wrapper that turns MS Proxy
into NAT server, usable by Linux. The only disadvantage, my wrapper
runs on Windows sitting between Linux and MS Proxy. So your brother
must find a friend who will run the wrapper for him or run Windows on
vmware. However multiple Linuces can use one wrapper, so average cost
may be lower. I can choose from 50 Windows boxes on LAN, so this is
not a problem for me.

http://robertvazan.host.sk/proxy/

It's generally good idea to talk to your admins about your problems.
They might not know about that Debian install or they may have other
reasons (maybe they got the server for free). Nobody wants to be
troublemaker. If you show your dissatisfaction, they will think about
it and possibly promise to install NAT server.