apt-cache not showing uninstalled packages

apt-cache show and apt-cache search no longer display uninstalled packages
for me, although they show up fine in aptitude and deity. I've rebuilt my
cache, changed my sources, etc., but nothing seems to work. I haven't been
able to find any references to this problem in apt documentation or on the
web.

Can someone suggest how I might troubleshoot this problem? I'm running sid
(with experimental KDE and Gnome packages).
---
Adam Kessel (adam@bostoncoop.net)