Re: OT: Alternatives to ls for sorting files by modification time

Hi Tom!

Thanks again for your quick reply!

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Tom Cook wrote:

> [...]
> I can safely say that I knew nothing about the -1 option to ls when I
> sent that message, except that I have observed this result:
>
> tkcook@brain:~/mbox$ ls -lt1
> total 40
> drwx--S---    2 tkcook   tkcook      32768 Sep 20 17:04 cur
> drwx--S---    2 tkcook   tkcook       4096 Sep 20 17:04 tmp
> drwx--S---    2 tkcook   tkcook       4096 Sep 20 17:03 new
> tkcook@brain:~/mbox$
>
> Clearly it is NOT stripping off the attributes.

For Debian systems, you are right. I just tested this on both a Debian
Woody and a SuSE 7.0 system. On the SuSE system, fileutils version 4.0 is
installed, on the Debian system it's version 4.1. When omitting the "-l",
the attributes are stripped off on both systems, which means ls behaves
the same way on both systems. Seems like the "-l" *does* make a
difference, depending on the versions of fileutils used. Thus, I will now
change the ls command in the script, so that it does no longer contains
"-l".

> The man page just says "one file per line", not anything about
> attributes.

I noticed that, too. The information given in there is not very specific.

> Do you get a different result on your system?  What sort of system is
> it?  I get this result on a woody box and an (oldish) sid box.

Please see my answer above.

Regards,

	Holger