Re: Naming convention invalid (local) domain

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 03:01, Robert Ian Smit wrote:

[***SNIP!!!***]

> On a slightly related noted. How expensive is a pop-request (i.e.
> fetchmail) for the pop3 server. Since my isp is currently having
> problems with their mail systems, I was wondering, if they would be
> annoyed (perhaps, rightly so) if wannabe hackers like me, poll
> their pop3-server once every two minutes or so.
>
> Eventually I want to be independent of their mail infrastructure, but
> I don't feel opening my MTA to the outside world is a good idea for
> now.
>
> Bob

Outlook Express on most Window-boxes does essentially that for some
setting of time when it regularly checks for new mail, depending on how
frequently it is set to poll. For a friend's dial-up to keep it from
timing out from inactivity, I just set it to poll every ten minutes - I
suspect that many are polling every minute. I poll my ISP with two
biff-ish functions every five minutes, plus an actual transfer poll
every five minutes with Evolution. For when there is no mail, all three
work out to be roughly the same amount of work on the ISP's server.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org