Re: intell i830 and kernel 2.4.19

Hi,

Is it possible for you to recompile the 2.4.19 kernel from source again?
If so, recompile and make sure that you have the IDE support compiled in
and not specified as a module. This is probably the reason why it cannot
find root, but it can be lilo too...

Also compile it by doing:
make-kpkg --revision=mykernel.1 kernel_image
The mykernel.1 can be anything and you'll need kernel-package package to
use make-kpkg.
Now you should have something like
kernel-image_2.4.19-mykernel.1_i386.deb.
Do a dpkg -i kernel-image-blah blah.deb to install.
It will install a new lilo boot image for you.  DO NOT REBOOT! First
check /etc/lilo.conf to make sure it is correct and do /sbin/lilo -v
just to make sure all the links are like you want it.

If you put in IDE support and lilo is correct then you should be able to
boot into linux with kernel 2.4.19.

NB. What I usually do is copy the /boot/config-2.4.18???  file that the
installation created into my /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19 file as
.config.
E.g.  cp /boot/config-2.4.18??? /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19/.config
Then I change into /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19.
Do a make oldconfig of is it make old-config and answer questions about
new drivers.
Then do make menuconfig or make xconfig to customize.
Then do the above below "Also compile it by doing:"

We'll look at the i830 problem when you have 2.4.19 ready, but you do
not need that for i830 support, 2.4.18 should do?  What you really need
is XFree86 4.2.....

--
Alwyn Schoeman
SMART Money Inc.

"The clock on the wall keeps moving, time stands still...
 No matter how the dice may fall, someone else always gets to call the number..."