exim/courier-imap login problems

I'm currently running exim MTA for a small group. Most are using POP cleints but I prefer to use IMAP. I would also like to use IMAP with SSL/TLS support. I have been running the package called "imap" and it has been working fine except that it takes up 70MB of memory. I'm not sure whiy but maybe it's got something to do with Exim storing files in MBOX format ??? My inbox (/var/mail/bjsimon) is 14MB.

From reading some of the posts on this list, I think I can configure Exim to use maildir format. Does anyone know if this will reduce the memory used for imapd ?

Will my exisiting mail still be available ? If so, do I have to do anything special ?

From the debian package information and courier docs, it seems that courier is quite big and well thoguht out. Can anyone shed some light on how it compares with Exim as an MTA ? Is it better, faster, more scaleable than Exim. What are the pros and cons (briefly).

I tried the courier-imap and courier-imap-ssl packages but could not get any of them to work. My mail client couldn't login. I believe I am using the PAM authentication module so I shouldn't need the /etc/userdb file, right ?? It should just work using the standard user logins right ???

Thanks for any help (ps, I'm using Debian 3.0 on PowerPC and Intel systems)
Kind regards,
Brendan Simon.