Re: Filesystem error

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:16:20PM -0500, Stefan Sten wrote:
> I followed the instructions at the promt tried with 'mount -n -o
> remount,rw /' and then 'e2fsck dev/hda1'.

If at all possible you should boot from an emergency disk/CD. In any
case, it is dangerous to run fsck on a filesystem that is mounted
read-write. If you can boot from floppy/CD don't mount the filesystem at
all, and if you have to boot from HD don't remount it rw.

> That gave me: "FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED", I rebooted and the system keeps
> complaning as before. Does somebody recognise this?

Don't stop after you run fsck once. Keep running it until it doesn't
tell you about any more errors. If you have too many errors you may want
to just save what data you can to another partition, wipe that one, and
restore from a backup. You should also make yourself a note about this,
filesystem corruption can sometimes be caused by a hardware problem.

--
Michael Heironimus