Re: Strange X behaviour after woody instalation (?!)

On  0, Zbigniew Perski <perski@us.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi, Two weeks ago I decided to move from WinNT to Debian woody. I am
> new in Linux so I decided first to instal woody as a 2nd
> system. Installation was correct (bf2.4 on ext3) but problems starts
> when I tried to turn on X windows. After startx my screen showing me
> colored screen with skewed desktop stretched over center of the
> screen and whole picture is divided into thin diagonal strips.  I am
> running Hercules Thriller 3D (8MB RAM) and 17' OptiView 17L
> monitor. The XFree86 is configured to use rendition driver (the card
> is using this chipset) and 1024x768 at 75Hz (same as I working with
> NT).  If I am trying to change screen resolution or frequency the
> distortions remains the same. The same effect was when I tried with
> different monitor.  Does anyone have similar problem or knows how to
> solve it?

Hmm, sounds like your sync rates are faster than your monitor can
handle.  I recommend first trying to get X running at a low
resolution, to prove that it can work, then gradually work the
resolution up to the point where you want it, then gradually work the
refresh rate up until it's OK.

I can't remember the package to reconfigure off-hand, but the command
is something like:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

HTH
Tom
--
Tom Cook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au