Strange X behaviour after woody instalation (?!)

Hi,
Two weeks ago I decided to move from WinNT to Debian woody. I am new in
Linux so
I decided first to instal woody as a 2nd system. Installation was
correct (bf2.4
on ext3) but problems starts when I tried to turn on X windows. After
startx my
screen showing me colored screen with skewed desktop stretched over
center of the
screen and whole picture is divided into thin diagonal strips.
I am running Hercules Thriller 3D (8MB RAM) and 17' OptiView 17L
monitor. The
XFree86 is configured to use rendition driver (the card is using this
chipset)
and 1024x768 at 75Hz (same as I working with NT).
If I am trying to change screen resolution or frequency the distortions
remains
the same. The same effect was when I tried with different monitor.
Does anyone have similar problem or knows how to solve it?

Regards

Zbigniew