Re: awk segfault on make menuconfig to build kernel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Osamu Aoki" <debian@aokiconsulting.com>
To: "David De Graff" <debian@platformglobal.com>
Cc: "Debian User List" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 3:03 AM
Subject: Re: awk segfault when try make menuconfig to build kernel

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 12:20:45AM -0700, David De Graff wrote:
> > I'm trying to build a kernel from source using the kernel-source-2.4.19
and
> > the instructions for the Debian standard method at:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html
>
> That's me :-)

Wow, help right from the source! Thanks.

> > When I execute make menuconfig, I get the error at the bottom of the
session
> > text below. It looks like awk is giving a segmentation fault. This error
> > persists even after I've upgraded mawk and gawk to the versions on
testing,
> > and switched simlinks to try both programs. I haven't found anything on
this
> > in the mail list archives, so am asking for any tips here.
> >
> > BTW, the error below happened with the .config file from my current
kernel
> > as well as below using the default config after I did a 'make
distclean'.

> > root@coral:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19# make menuconfig
>
> Why you are root?
>       # apt-get install debhelper modutils kernel-package libncurses5-dev
>       # apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18   # use latest version
>       # vi /etc/kernel-pkg.conf                # input my name and email

On the first attempt, I did the entire process as root just to avoid any
permissions issues (wasn't really thinking about it).

> Maybe I should have said: (<foo> is user name)
>
>       # addgrp --group src <foo>
>       # su <foo>
>       $ cd /usr/src                            # build directory
>       $ tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
>
> If untar as root and if you are user, you may hit problem.

I just did the process again as you describe, as a non-root user, and got
the same error:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19/scripts/lxdialog'
/bin/sh scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
Using defaults found in .config
Preparing scripts: functions, parsingscripts/Menuconfig: line 1:  5435
Segmentation fault      awk "$1"
Awk died with error code 139. Giving up.
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 1

This is on a woody system with some pieces from testing, and with gcc-3.2
and dependencies from unstable.

BTW, my system doesn't seem to have addgrp. This isn't relevant to the
problem, but just thought I would point it out given your revised
instructions above. I used usermod since src was already in /etc/group.

Best,

Dave