They system wont Power down the mother board

I have a PIV on ASUS mother borad. When I shutdown the machine in windows, it power downs the mother board. But if I shutdown the system in Debian, the system does the usuall work, prints out:

Power down.

and then stays there only. I have to manually press the power switch to power down the whole system. I used the append=apm on" in the lilo.conf but of no avail. I am using 2.4.29 (testing). Can any body let me know what i have to do so that the motherboard power is shut down after a normal shutdown.
Thanks
J S Sahambi