Re: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

Am Samstag, 14. September 2002 01:08 schrieb Colin Watson:
> > However, when I try to create the packages it fails trying to
> > include some functions from asm/io.h and asm/pgtable.h.
>
> Both those files are in the libc6-dev package, which you should
> install if you want to compile pretty much anything.
>
> However, given that it's a driver, it may need to be built
> against the appropriate set of kernel headers rather than the
> versions in libc6-dev.

Hello,

I'm myself rather a newbie, and apart from what you mentioned it
could be probably helpful to a newbie to have a look on dpkg -S in
such cases.

dpkg -S asm/io.h e.g. gives libc6-dev as result, and io.h gives
apart from others the kernel-header package.

Besides alien we could use auto-apt (apt-get install auto-apt)
tar -xzf <sourcepackage.tgz>
cd <sourcepackage>
auto-apt run ./configure
make
(make check)
make install
(or checkinstall if you got checkinstall: apt-get install
checkinstall)

ciao

gerhard