3d hardware / nvidia driver problems

Hi all,

I've just been using Debian for a week or so now and I am trying to get my
Asus GeForce 2 MX to handle 3d graphics.

Everything seems to work fine in 2d but as soon as I try to run something
that requires some acceleration things slow down to about 0.5 fps (P2 400,
256 Mg RAM).  Even the _title screen_ of 'tuxracer' is this slow.

I tried installing / uninstalling the XFree86 Mesa library and the non XF
one also, this fixed up a problem with Java3d (not crashing X).  I have
installed the GLUT, and also installed the nvidia driver packages (all
through the package manager).

When I change the video card driver in XFConfig-4 from "nv" to "nvidia", I
get an error saying that the nvidia module cannot be found.

Do I have to recompile the kernel in some way to fix this?  If so, I
cannot find my kernel source (should be bf2.4) anywhere.

Help!

Cheers,

Sam