Re: fstab user mount

>>>>> "Lance" == Lance Hoffmeyer <lance@augustmail.com> writes:

Lance> The fstab man says that if I put user in the 4th field as a mount
Lance> option any user can mount the specified device (i.e. cdrom).  but
Lance> when I do this I get "only root can do this".  What am I missing
Lance> here?  How do I get this to work?

IIRC, by default, regular users don't have permissions for /dev/cdrom.
They need to be in the cdrom group (I think -- do an "ls -l" to make
sure), or the permissions need to be changed.  If it's just a local-user
machine (i.e. nobody -- except for "trusted" users), you can add all the
users who should be able to access the cdrom to the cdrom group.
Otherwise, it may be worth looking at the pam_group PAM module, so that
people will be automatically added to the cdrom group if they log in
locally.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA