ppp running but not able to ping anything

Dear List,

I am stumped.

This is a new woody install for a friend.

I set up wvdial, using wvdialconf, and it
seems to work properly. I see the login take
place and a message giving the two IP addresses
between which communication is taking place.
I also see, using ps aux, that the ppp daemon
is running.

But I can not ping anything. I also can not
connect using the browser (Konquerer).

This is strange because I set it up the same
way as for my home machine and that works. It
is running potato, however. If I remember correctly
the only strange thing I had to do was change the
group assigned to the serial port from root to dialup.

Any ideas about what to try next would be very much
appreciated. I have run out. BTW, I am not a newbie so
you need not give highly detailed replies.

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Barry

--