xconsole problem

I am running Debian Linux 2.2r6.
When I try to open an xconsole from the menu, it opens up with the message:
"Couldn't open xconsole"

With help from linux newsgroups, I did the following:
As root:
rm /dev/xconsole
mknod -m 666 /dev/xconsole p

As user:
xconsole -file /dev/xconsole 2>&1 &
kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

Now I start receiving messages on the xconsole and I can echo messages to it as
root and as user. Next, I run a servlet which is suppossed to send messages to
xconsole but it doesn't. (There are no errors in the servlet program.)
How can I fix this problem? Its a nasty problem.

Thanks for you help.

Anand