cant start xsession with xdm :(

Hello,

I have a strange problem with xdm:
When I login via xdm, the xsession does not start. But I get an error
message in /var/log/xdm: Xsession: unable to create X session log/error
file

I changed the file /etc/X11/Xsession, which gives the error message to
get some debug output:

[...]
# attempt to create an error file; abort if we cannot
echo $ERRFILE
if touch $ERRFILE 2> /dev/null && [ -w $ERRFILE ]; then
  echo "(1) touching"
  chmod 600 "$ERRFILE"
elif ERRFILE=$(tempfile 2> /dev/null); then
  echo "(2) elif"
  if ! ln -sf "$ERRFILE" "${TMPDIR:=/tmp}/xsession-$USER"; then
    echo "(3) message"
    message "Xsession: unable to symlink \"$TMPDIR/xsession-$USER\" to"
\             "\"$ERRFILE\"."
  fi
else
  echo "(4) errormsg"
  errormsg "Xsession: unable to create X session log/error file.
Aborting." fi
[...]

$ERRFILE is "/home/markus/.xsession-errors".
The "touch" line fails. I tried to touch /home/markus/.xsession-error
myself and got no error (neither in $?). I tried [ -w
/home/markus/.xsession-error ] && echo "true" : it passed this test as
well. I deleted ~markus/.xsession-error, tried to login again and failed
again: The file was not touched...

I have no idea why. I edited the script to ignore the error (commented
out an "exit 1" in the errormsg func), then I get the error

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession: line 82: : Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden

(file or directory not found)

with the line:

exec >  2>&1

I don't have any clue what this should do and I am quite helpless with
all of this :(

BTW: Starting X with startx from the console works fine...

Can someone help me, please ? TIA !
--
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577      http://www.grunwald.2xs.de