Re: apache 2

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 02:04:04PM +0200, daniel meier wrote:

> is there a apache2 package already in debian "sarge"? couldn't find
> it. if yes, whats the name of the package?

Nope, but it looks like it's in sid.

$ apt-cache search apache2
apache2-common - Next generation, scalable, extendable web server
apache2-dev - Development headers for apache2
apache2-doc - Documentation for apache2
apache2-mpm-perchild - Experimental High speed perchild/follower threaded model for Apache2
apache2-mpm-prefork - Traditional model for Apache2
apache2-mpm-threadpool - Experimental High speed thread pool model for Apache2
apache2-mpm-worker - High speed threaded model for Apache2
libapache2-dav-svn - Apache module for Subversion - in development, alpha
libapr0 - The Apache Portable Runtime
libapache2-mod-webapp - Apache 2.0 connector for the Tomcat servlet engine

$ apt-cache policy apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-common
apache2-mpm-prefork:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.0.40-1
  Version Table:
     2.0.40-1 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
apache2-common:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.0.40-1
  Version Table:
     2.0.40-1 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages

So, as far as I can tell, it's in Sid only.

You install one of the apache2-mpm-<whatever> packages, based on which
"Multi-Processing Module" (MPM) you want (the back-end apache module
that determines how the server will actually run), and includes
apache2-common (lots of front-end modules, including SSL) as a
dependency, so with that one install you should be set.

apache2-mpm-prefork is the one that works most like apache 1.x
(i.e. fork lots of mostly independent processes).

Disclaimer: I have tried none of this, the above is speculation based
on what I know about Apache 2.0 and what I gleaned from apt-cache.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef