Re: exim right choice?

On (19 Sep 02 11:15), Benedict Verheyen wrote:

<snip>

> I have 2 mailboxes at my isp, 1 for me and 1 for my wife. So i would like exim to run on my soon-to-be debian server and check the mailbox from me and my wife at my isp's site every x minutes and store the mail locally on my server.
>
> Then i would use Kmail (or another client) to connect to my server and get the mail from there instead of from my isp. Of course, i don't want to retrieve the mail from my wife. Would save me a lot of time since i'm currently subscribed to a couple of debian mailing lists and they are quite busy :-)
>
> When sending mail, my mail client should send it to my server which then would take care of sending it to my isp's pop3 server.
> The whole setup would add an extra step: instead of email client - isp it would be email client - local server - isp.
>
> Is a combo of kmail / exim able to do this without to much trouble?

There seems to be some confusion here about the different types of mail
server. A solution for your situation would probably be to use an agent
like fetchmail to pick up mail from the respective pop3 mailboxes at
your isp and then forward them to your local MTA (exim) for delivery to
your respective local mail folders.

You don't send mail via a pop3 server. If you have exim running it will
be able to send mail via smtp to the intended recipients, without having
to use your isp's mail servers at all.

So it would be email client -> local server -> remote server.

I don't use Kmail but I can't imagine it would be difficult to get it to
poll your mail spool (default on debian is /var/spool/$USERNAME) for
incoming mail and use your local smtp server for outgoing mail.

--
Ben Goodstein
Human Being Extraordinaire