No X after upgrade Potato -> Woody

Dear all -

I have just taken the dive and decided to upgrade (my Dell Latitude Cpi
330) to Debian Woody.

After the process was completed, I was no longer taken into Gnome after
a boot, but ended at the console login prompt without error messages.
If I typed 'X' there, I would see error messages of the type:

  > sh: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: No such file or directory
  > Couldn't
  > load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

I have looked this up in the list archive and found suggestions to do:

  apt-get install --reinstall xfonts-base

and:

  apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xfree86

Now if I do 'X' the gray 'fish bown' screen appears with an 'X' cursor,
but no login. Again, a reboot only gives a console login prompt.

I would be most pleased with any suggestions how this might be fixed. I
have searched /var/log/* but did not find any messages that provided
more insight.

Thanks a lot.

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.com>