RE: Help needed setting up CDRW

Bob et al,

OK I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18-686 which went smoothly except that this
kernel uses something called initrd, which I opted out of the first go round
for some reason I can't remember. Needed to add a line to /etc/lilo.conf
'initrd=/initrd.img'
and one to /etc/kernel-img.conf which does not exist (didn't cause a
problem, but I apparently will get some kind of warning message about using
initrd every time I upgrade the kernel)

I then used xcdroast to select a directory and copy it to a cd which is what
I wanted the cd for in the first place (backup, and hopefully restore). This
also seemed to go smoothly.
However to read the CDROM I needed to make a change to /dev/cdrom:

cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom

which changed it to a link to the scsi device.

I deleted the line for /dev/scd0 etc in fstab without any apparent problems;
I left the line in /etc/lilo.conf append="scd=scsi-ide"; I deleted the CDRW
directory under / that I had created as an experiment; all the required mods
now appear to be present and accounted for

cdrecord -scanbus now gives me:

scsibus0
0,0,0, 0)SONY 'CDRW CRX185e1' 'XYS2' Removable CD-Rom
which is what I think it is supposed to show.

The only problem that remains is that trying to make a CD with kreatecd it
just sits there, but if this does not look like some kind of hidden problem,
I think I will just remove this program and use xcdroast.

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org