Re: running ntpdate as user

> > Anyone know what I need to change in order to run ntpdate as a user
> > without using su sudo ...?
>
> Without looking I assume that changing the time is a root privilege
> operation.  Otherwise anyone could change the time and play games with
> the system.  Therefore what you would have to change to allow non-root
> to do this would be the code in the kernel which makes that a privilege
> operation.
>
> Bob

I think what Bob is trying to say is:

Why would you want to compromise the security of your system in this way?

My preference has to be to run it with sudo. If you are worried about the
'annoyance' of having to enter a password (perhaps it's running from a non
interactive script) you can configure sudo to not need a password for that
particular operation.

Andrew