Why do the config scripts always get run twice during install?

I run about 7 Debian boxes... and I keep them all up with "unstable". I use dselect to maintain my list of packages to install/remove, and I used to use ftp as the fetch method, but I've recently converted all over to apt.

Anyway, some time ago (about a year, it seems), many if not all of the packages that used debconf seemed to run through debconf twice when I would install or upgrade a package.

One example that really sticks in my head is "horde", where I get asked which DBMS I'm using, then I'm asked for the username/password of the root account, and then the username/password of the horde account....... THEN, I'm asked all of these questions AGAIN. This same behavior seems to happen with things like samba... actually, anything that uses debconf, it seems.

Since I maintain so many boxes, I can't be sure if this happens on all of them or just a subset (so I don't know if it's a problem with debconf itself or if it's a problem with a few of my boxes). Does anyone know why this is happening?

- Joe