Re: i810 video and Debian 3.0

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Evan Burkitt wrote:

> Sorry for taking so long to reply. I set up access through gmane.org and
> replied via my newsreader. The reply evidently was rejected by gmane.org
> because it presented incorrect headers, it took me a few days to notice
> that my reply did not post, I waited until Monday to resend from work and
> found that the reply wasn't in my newsreader's sent mail. I seem to have
> lost it altogether.
>
> To answer your question, I installed a kernel from a downloaded "mini-cd"
> image obtained from a link on debian.org but it isn't an official Debian
> file. I was surprised to find that, even though the CD purported to be
> contain a production Woody release, the kernel is/was named 2.2.20-idepci.
> I have since installed the kernel-source package, built 2.4.18 and
> successfully booted and run X with it. It does not, however, detect my NIC
> (a built-in 3COM 3C920) that the original kernel detected and used without
> incident. I also downloaded a prebuilt 2.4.18 kernel via dpkg (don't recall
> the exact name but it was for Intel Pentium/Celeron chips). It also boots
> and runs X AND also does not detect my NIC. In fact, nothing to do with
> eth0 appears in /var/logs/messages at all when I boot with either of the
> 2.4 kernels. The 2.2 kernel reports that 3c95x.c has found a "3Com 3c905c
> Tornado" card and I am able to talk to my LAN.
>
> I have included (built-in) every 3Com card I can find in menuconfig and see
> nothing unusual about the other network settings, and I am out of ideas.
> Rebuilding the kernel has been the most straightforward thing I've done yet
> with Linux; if it had worked I'd think I was really onto something. :)>
>
> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
>
> -eb-

have a look at the kernel-documentation to find out which driver is
the right for your card. compile the driver as module. try loading
the module (with modprobe) and see what happens. adjust /etc/modules.conf
or so.
perhabs the modulename changed that it stopped working while upgrading to
2.4.

hope that helps.

burkhard