Re: i810 video and Debian 3.0

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I set up access through gmane.org and replied via my newsreader. The reply evidently was rejected by gmane.org because it presented incorrect headers, it took me a few days to notice that my reply did not post, I waited until Monday to resend from work and found that the reply wasn't in my newsreader's sent mail. I seem to have lost it altogether.

To answer your question, I installed a kernel from a downloaded "mini-cd" image obtained from a link on debian.org but it isn't an official Debian file. I was surprised to find that, even though the CD purported to be contain a production Woody release, the kernel is/was named 2.2.20-idepci. I have since installed the kernel-source package, built 2.4.18 and successfully booted and run X with it. It does not, however, detect my NIC (a built-in 3COM 3C920) that the original kernel detected and used without incident. I also downloaded a prebuilt 2.4.18 kernel via dpkg (don't recall the exact name but it was for Intel Pentium/Celeron chips). It also boots and runs X AND also does not detect my NIC. In fact, nothing to do with eth0 appears in /var/logs/messages at all when I boot with either of the 2.4 kernels. The 2.2 kernel reports that 3c95x.c has found a "3Com 3c905c Tornado" card and I am able to talk to my LAN.

I have included (built-in) every 3Com card I can find in menuconfig and see nothing unusual about the other network settings, and I am out of ideas. Rebuilding the kernel has been the most straightforward thing I've done yet with Linux; if it had worked I'd think I was really onto something. :)>

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

-eb-

Evan Burkitt wrote:
> At 09:09 2002.09.08 +0100, Peter Whysall wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 07:44, Evan Burkitt wrote:
>> > I recently installed version 3.0 of Debian on a Dell GX110, which has a
>> > built-in video adaptor based on the Intel i810 controller. I set up
>> Xfree86
>> > during installation from Debian packages, but it fails to start due
>> to a
>> > missing agpgart module. I looked at the source distributions for
>> XFree86
>> > and the agpgart module doesn't appear to be in the 4.x distribution,
>> and
>> > the file in the 3.x distribution doesn't support the v2.4 Linux kernel.
>> >
>> > If I have to, I can install a video card in a PCI slot and override the
>> > built-in hardware, but I'd prefer not to spend the money or disturb the
>> > Win2K installation that the computer dual-boots. Any recommendations
>> on how
>> > I can get X to work with my existing hardware?
>>
>> The missing module is a kernel module - not an XFree86 one.
>>
>> Here's the relevant bits from my config (BX440 board):
>>
>> CONFIG_AGP=y
>> CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
>> # CONFIG_AGP_I810 is not set
>> # CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
>> # CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
>> # CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
>> # CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
>> # CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
>> CONFIG_DRM=y
>>
>> As you can see, there's a specific option for i810 AGP. It can be
>> compiled into the kernel, or as a module.
>>
>> You can find these options in the "Character Devices" section, if you
>> use menuconfig or xconfig.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>

> I think it will, once I find the config you're referencing. Also, I
> don't appear to have either menuconfig or xconfig on my installation.
> All I have for X configuration is /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config and
> dpkg-reconfigure run with 'xserver-xfree86' on the command line. I also
> don't have the agpgart module present; modprobe agpgart reports that it
> can't find it.
>
> If you could point me toward the config file I'll see what it says.

Before we do that - are you using a regular Debian kernel package?

I.e., did you install it by "apt-get install kernel-image<foo>" ?

Regards

Peter.

--
peter.whysall@ntlworld.com