Re: Mylex Controller, Tyan MB and SMP problems <- not simply initrd

Thanks Alvin, but I still havent got it to work.

I've tried using initrd and I still have a problem.

What is happening is that the kernel is trying to mount the root device (/dev/rd/c0d0p1) before it's loaded the DAC960 driver.

Compiling the driver into the kernel doesnt help.

I've set DAC960 and reiserfs as modules to load before mounting the root fs in /etc/mkinitrd/modules (I think it was there - different machine to where I'm sitting).

I've RTFMd, rebuilt, reloaded and reconfigured. I've threatened the machine with defenestration. My workmates are avoiding me as I get more and more annoyed.

As much as it pains me I think I need a 'Jack and Jill meet the keyboard' style walkthrough on building a smp initrd kernel to boot with a root fs on RAID5 hardware.

John P Foster (who although he doesnt make the beer desperately needs an awfully large quantity of it)

John wrote:

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyomne has any experience with the Mylex RAID controller on Tyan mainboards.

As soon as we enable SMP in the kernel we can no longer find the file systems at boot time == kernel panic.

Any clues at all appreciated.

John P Foster (who is NOT the guy who makes the beer)