Re: Dibian on Gigabyte GA-7VRXP motherboard.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 12:18:34AM +0200, pCarlo    wrote:
>   I had a previous version of linux distribution (SuSE 7.1), which
>   works fine on my previous PC. Since I changed my PC, it was not
>   possible to install the SuSE distribution (the Suse installer
>   does not found the Hard Disk ), because the GA-7VRXP do not have
>   the update drivers for linux ( the reseller said, because the
>   motherboard type is to much recent).

That's weird. Those new hard disk controllers are usually (always?)
backward compatible. If you don't include native support in the
kernel for a new chipset, you will not get the system to run as fast
as it possibly can, but access to disks should not be a problem.

Does anything, say Windows, run on the machine? Maybe you have a
hardware problem or the BIOS is not setup correctly.

(BTW harware gurus are not always Linux gurus. In my experience they
really hate to use software, they'd rather work on their cooling) ;)

>   Then I search for a distribution which may be support this type
>   of news motherboard, to install correctly a linux distribution.
>   I search this information on the Debian site but I do not found
>   clearly if this type of motherboard was supported. Does it ?

If it is a KT333 motherboard, probably yes. I am not sure what
extra devices (sound, lan, video, whatever) Gigabyte includes on the
board. But the basics should work. After that you optimize to
get the performance, you upgraded for in the first place.

>   May be the Debian distribution should respond to my problem ? I
>   hope. I'll appreciate any suggestion.

You might get lucky here. But any Linux distribution should to the
trick. Just the fact that you don't see a designed for... or
optimized for... slogan does not mean you are SOL.

Give it a try. It will be at least much easier to answer questions
regarding issues you might encounter.

Bob