Re: XFree86 Memory usage

On Monday 16 September 2002 11:43, nate wrote:
> Leo Spalteholz said:
> > Or does XFree86 have a major memory leak somewhere?  I am running
> > testing with no 3rd party packages installed.
>
> what driver are you using, and what do you do during this time?
> the most I've ever gotten X to use(4.1.x) was about maybe 180MB that
> was after about 6 weeks of intensive usage(I have 30 virtual desktops
> on that particular machine)
>
> what your experiencing seems to be very abnormal, I would think it
> is the result of a buggy app..or maybe your just doing so much
> stuff....but thats still unusual for such a short period of time!

Well, I would say it's abnormal... I have the same problem... Ok, I'm
running Woody (X, KDE and galeon) on a notebook and therefor don't have so
much memory. I usually only use the console, Kmail, Knode, galeon and gaim
and have them open all the time. Sometimes I also use OpenOffice. And
usually after 2 days, sometimes only after one day I have to reboot,
because the machine gets unusable slow and is swapping like hell...
galeon seems indeed to be the worst of these apps... it also fills my
harddrive although I gave it a limit of 5 Megs for cache files... It still
uses the default of 50 megs, which is not acceptable on a 2.5 Gig
partition... Of course I could change to Mozilla instead, but Mozilla is
slower and the font rendering is not so beautiful like in galeon...
especially Unicode...

maybe there are some developers on this list who can shed a bit of light in
the dark...

Cheers
Arne