Re: Newbie needs help from Kernel-Guru

This one time, at band camp, Russell said:
> fbrian@nac.net wrote:
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am trying to build a 2.4.18 kernel and I am getting these errors
> > when I try booting the new kernel image.
> > (I build and install the kernel using make-kpkg and dpkg)
> >
> > request_module [block-major-3]:Root fs not mounted
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
> > <7> uhci.c : dc00: suspend_hc
> >
> > so I reboot again this time at the lilo prompt I issue...
> >
> > boot Linux root=/dev/hda2
> >
> > I get these errors...
> >
> > request_module [block-major-3]:Root fs not mounted
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or 03:02
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
> > <7> uhci.c : dc00: suspend_hc
>
> Make sure you include the CramFS in .config if you're
> using --initrd. You can get into your system by booting
> from the debian rescue disk that you can download.

Russell's solution is probably the correct one, but other things to
check are whether you have the right processor picked (I have, oddly
enough, seen this message then) and that you have support for IDE hard
drives compiled into the kernel.

HTH,
Steve

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.