Re: Problems with xmms.

--Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote
(on Saturday, 14 September 2002, 11:21 PM -0500):
> David Pastern wrote:
> >Well...interesting, i removed normal user from audio group, logged off,
> >logged back on...and problem fixed.  Root now has sound again, and nasty
> >noise is gone.  Of course normal user doesn't have any sound anymore lol.
> >It seems to be as a byproduct of adding myself to the audio group that this
> >nasty noise/no music develops.  Anyone else on the lists encountered this
> >issue before?
>
> I don't know what wm/environment you're using, but it sounds like maybe
> there's a sound daemon (esound? artsd?) running that's causing problems
> when your user is in the audio group. Try adding your user back to
> audio, then ps for some sound daemon and kill it to see if that makes a
> difference.

If I remember from earlier in the thread, David mentioned that he was
using a via83xx series sound card. My wife's new computer also uses a
via chipset, and I had some difficulty setting up sound for her as well.
I started out having her use KDE, while I would log in with blackbox.

To test the sound, I logged in as myself, and then spawned xmms, and
everything sounded great. However, when she logged in, it 1) was WAY too
loud, and 2) had a horrible crackle. I thought at first that we'd blown
the speakers, but such was not the case.

The point of this story: it turned out artsd (kde's sound daemon) was
causing the problems. I briefly tried esd (enlightenment sound daemon),
and had similar results.

I _believe_ there's a setting in kde's control panel that controls
whether or not artsd is started -- I didn't actually use this solution
(my wife wanted to use blackbox instead of kde), so YMMV.

--Matthew