Re: Domestic network!

Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:

> Two, and in about a year three computers in our house - two running
> debian woody, one running Winders 98.  I want to connect them so that we
> can share files and printing services (coveting my wife's laser
> printer!), the internet connection (dial-up) through a debian box.
>
> I have not the first idea about the hardware side of this and only so
> much on the software side as can be gleaned from the networking chapter
> of "Running Linux".  Google gives me masses of stuff which seems to be
> way over the top (read way over my head).
>
> Can anyone point me to some basic documentation aimed at this kind of
> network?

Take a look at rute.sourceforge.net for more information now that
you've absorbed Running Linux.

Don't expect what you are getting into to be easy.  If your network
was all Windows, or all Macs, for example, that would be more
straightforward, but a cross-platform LAN with Internet and printer
access will give you some amusement for a while :)

Dialup is actually harder to configure than TCP/IP.

You will need to study up on Samba, which provides the Linux/Windows
interface.

Although your situation isn't as critical as it would be if your had a
cable modem or DSL Internet connection, you should consider setting up
an old computer running a stripped version of Debian (no X) or OpenBSD
as a firewall.  Eventually you will want broadband access so you will
have to do this at some point.  You really only need a 486 with 16MB
RAM and 2GB (or less) HD.  If you look around, you should find people
who will give you one for free just to get rid of it.  You can access
it remotely, so you don't need to tie up a monitor or desk space once
it's set up.  Learn about ssh.  You can use another old "headless" box
(Pentium with a bigger drive, but still used) for a file server and
backup server.  Possibly add a CD burner to give you off-site storage.
Keep the some of the backup CDs in your car or at work.

You start at the bottom.  Set up the boxes with their Ethernet network
cards and cabling, then assign IP addresses and hostnames via the
hosts files (and W98 equivalent).  You don't need to setup a DNS
server.  Once you can ping from one box to the other (start by pinging
IPs, then hostnames) you are ready for more advanced configuration and
applications.

I'd say, set up the firewall box without an Internet connection and
get it talking to your Debian workstation.  Harden it up (shut down
servers, close ports, set up packet filtering and NAT), make your
Internet connection, then add Samba on the internal LAN (not the
firewall).  Don't expose any of this stuff to the Internet.  The
firewall should not be running any servers accessible from the outside
world, and preferably only the ssh server accessible from the LAN.

When you get to that point you will have a much better idea of how to
proceed.

Keep a small paper notebook with each computer detailing its setup.

Record your progress, setups, etc. in a larger paper notebook.
Initially, at least, partitions get blown away, or you are booted on
the wrong system, etc., so the notebook is very useful.

HTH, good luck, enjoy!

KBK