Re: Device list

on Sat, Aug 31, 2002, Russell (rjshaw@iprimus.com.au) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make a multi-floppy-disk rescue system. Is there a
> command to list devices in /dev that exist on my system? /dev has
> thousands of files which takes up too much space on a boot floppy.

(From the better late than sober dept).

First:  this is largely immaterial.  You can regenerate /dev with either
/sbin/MAKEDEV, or bypass the issue entirely with devfs.

Second:  it doesn't tell you much about your system -- device files
don't correspond directly to supported kernel modules and such.  You may
have kernel support for devices not listed in /dev (they may be
dynamically assigend/created, or they may not work), or you may have
/dev entries you can't access (e.g.:  SCSI drives in a non-SCSI system).

Third:  what you're most likely interested in is your kernel modules
list:

    /sbin/lsmod

or

    cat /proc/modules

...will give you this.

Fourth:  tar is your friend:

    $ tar czvf /tmp/dev.tar.gz /dev
    $ ll -h /tmp/dev.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          48K Sep 14 00:39 /tmp/dev.tar.gz

...which fits nicely on a floppy.

Peace.

   LNX-BBC:  Bootable GNU/Linux -- Don't leave /home without it.
     http://www.lnx-bbc.org/