Re: OT: Accessing users' pages on Apache

Kent West said:

> So I created the directory "/home/westk/public_directory" and used
> Mozilla Composer to create a simple ("Hello, World!" style) file, named
> it "index.html", and dropped it into that directory.

that should be public_html not public_directory(unless you changed
httpd.conf. also be sure that apache has read access, which is
usually default, but if your more strict with security you may
need to:

chmod o+rx /home/westk /home/westk/public_html

so apache can access it. also all files in public_html need to
be readable by apache as well(again this is the default..)

> I spent 30 or 40 minutes last night googling for the answer, and another
> 30/40 tonight Dogpiling for one. (Can you believe there's not a simple
> "Beginner's guide to using Apache in a Debian environment" that's easily
> found?)

what your trying is normal/basic apache stuff, not debian specific,
at least from what I gather from your post

nate