Re: Writing a kernel building walkthrough - proofreaders wanted

* Kirk Strauser (kirk@strauser.com) [020913 09:33]:
> At 2002-09-13T15:47:35Z, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
> > Ok. Here is something Kent West <westk@nicanor.acu.edu> has created, that
> > 1. Run "dselect". Choose "Update". Choose "Select". "space bar" to get
> > out of the Help screens. Use "/" (without the quotes) to start search.
> > Search for "kernel-source". Mark for installation the 2.4.18 or so.
> >
> > 1b. Use "/" to search for "kernel-package". Mark it for installation
> > also. "Enter" to get back to the main dselect menu.
> >
> > 1c. Choose "Install". This will download a file in /usr/src with a .tgz
> > extension, as well as install "kernel-package".
>
> I'd deprecate that in favor of:
>
>    # apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-$version
>
> which is more straightforward and won't potentially leave a newbie in
> dselect hell if they make a typo and can't back out of it.

You can always back out of it.  Hit 'X'.  Try '?k' for more help on
keystrokes.  One reason why something like dselect/aptitude is better is
because one may not know what version of the kernel is available, or
what they want.  A front-end lets them see all available packages.
Maybe this HOWTO could just say 'apt-get install
kernel-source-<version>' and have a reference to another document
describing how to search for packages with apt-cache, apt-file, and
http://packages.debian.org .  I don't know if such a document already
exists somewhere; if not, I think it would be worthwhile, since "which
package contains <x>?" is a FAQ on this list.  Also, these methods are
beyond the scope of recompiling a kernel, so a reference to a separate
document seems appropriate.

I think Kirk's other comments on the HOWTO are accurate and valuable.
(oh yeah, and installing the kernel .deb does run lilo.)

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/