Re: a quickie

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:13:30PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rob Mahurin <rob@utk.edu> [2002-09-11 23:09:08 -0400]:
> > Copy to me, I'm not on the list.  Thanks,
> > What's the perl command to convert a text file from DOS or unix
> > newline format to the macintosh newline format?  (CR->LF?)
>
> You know you could google for that information probably quicker.  But
> I am a sucker for those types of questions...  Does it have need to be
> perl?  These are off of the top of my head and there may be mistakes
> here.  YMMV, etc., etc.
>
> MAC to UNIX:
>
>   tr "\015" "\012" < uxfile > macfile

Yup, that was it.  I actually used "\r" and "\n", which are easier to
remember than the numbers and work fine.

I asked the list rather than searching on google because when I had
time to read debian-user I always learned a lot from off-topic posts
like this.  Perhaps not the most efficient use of the internet but the
internet is hardly optimized for efficiency.

Thanks again,

Rob

--
Garbage In, Gospel Out