Re: Sid & Openoffice (user interface font not working)

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 18:03, Chris Halls wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:09:34PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > I just upgraded my testing machine to unstable and installed KDE3.0.3.
> > All worked well except that openoffice no longer shows a single
> > character. That is there is no longer any character in the menues,
> > windows, etc.
> >
> > Did anyone else have such an effect? Yes, I know this is pre-unstable,
> > but it better does not happen once the packages come up to sid. :-)
>
> Yours is the third such report I've seen today - something must've gone
> wrong with fonts somewhere.  The person I spoke on on IRC found that he
> could get it to work by removing fonts from the font path until it started,
> then changing the user interface font a la README.gz.  That makes OOo use
> the font you ask for instead of automatically looking for a font... and
> finding one that doesn't work properly.
>
> It would be good to find out which font is being picked on these problem
> machines.  I can't reproduce it here.

Sound quite like my "No menus and weird field size" problem. If you
could elaborate on the steps required to identify the problem font, I
would post it to the lists.

It may just be a coincidence, but I have observer weird font behavior on
my system lately, with the Microsoft TTF fonts no longer being available
although I tried reinstalling the msttcorefonts package.

In the "pick a font" dialog in Gnome, many fonts are marked as "the
selected font is not available". I can list them for you if you want.