Re: Changing appearance of (x-)terminal

This one time, at band camp, Robert Ian Smit said:
> I know what I don't want to do, but don't know what other options I
> have.
>
> I regularly log in to four or five different systems. An oops on a
> couple of those systems would ill-serve me and a couple of other
> people.
>
> How can I change the appearance of a session to a host, using host
> based configuration?
>
> I don't want to create shortcuts on my desktop that start a
> terminal-with-fancy-colours to really.important.host.
>
> What can I do, apart from looking at the prompt, to change the way a
> session looks? Pointers are fine. I don't know where to start.  Shell,
> getty, system, ssh, can of paint?
>
> Colours would be great, having a background image on the terminal (if
> terminal support is available, otherwise ignore) would be heaven. Any
> other obvious visual clues available?
>
> Bob

Depending on what terminal you're using, there's a couple of different
methods.  I think the KDE term supports profiles, and so does the new
GNOME-terminal (2.0.x, currently in unstable).  The idea being you can
set up a profile for really.important.host that has colors and
background associated with it, and can (I think) initiate an ssh session
when opened.

If you don't want that, I think Eterm supports reading different
conffiles (or more, properly, themes, with the -t option), and you can
set up a couple of configurations depending on which host you're sshing
into.  Not sure about xterm, though - it keeps mangling my keymaps, so
I've just been using (E | Gnome)terms for awhile.

HTH,
Steve
--
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't it.
		-- Groucho Marx