Re: idebus=xx and lilo

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 09:09:39AM -0400, Bob Underwood wrote:
> i have a new mainboard running woody with kernel 2.4.19-k7.  during
> bootup, i get the following message:
>
> ide:  Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> idebus=xx.
>
> lspci -v shows (in part) Flags:  bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel,
> latency, which appears to indicate that i can safely pass idebus=66
> to the kernel.  is there a way to do so with lilo?  i've added
> append="idebus=66"  to the append statement in the default
> configuration and to the kernel section.  neither appears to pass the
> information to the kernel.

I noticed that to on my system. After some investigation I didn't
bother changing things. I can't quite remember, but isn't the
message an indication of the speed between the pci-controller and the
ide-controller? As far as I know this doesn't involve the speed
between ide-controller and your disk.

If other people suggest changing idebus, I will look in to it again,
but currently my disks use UDMA 100 (from the top of my head). Which
was all I wanted really.

Bob