No menus and weird field size in Openoffice

When I launch Openoffice, wether spreadsheet or word processor, the menu
bar is not visible and all fields have really weird sizes (either so
tiny one does not see what is in the field, or so big it takes most of
the screen). Document opened with it are displayed and it responds to
keyboard shortcuts, but the GUI is completely unusable. I really have no
idea what to do. I would have said that GTK could be the culprit, but
other GTK apps work fine. I'm puzzled. Has anyone ever seen such thing ?